Changing the Division Operator -- PEP 238, rev 1.12

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Thu Aug 2 12:09:07 EDT 2001

"Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.net> wrote in message
news:23891c90.0108020110.40b340c7 at posting.google.com...
PB> > > I can see the benefits of making these changes in the context
of a
> > > numeric system overhaul, but what seemed to be communicated was,

GvR> > Words put in my mouth.
>
> Not really, since I said that this was what "seemed" to be
communicated. ;-)

I also try to carefully qualify statements that would otherwise
constitute putting words in mouthes.  Perhaps *emphasis* would get
readers to better notice such qualifications.

In regards the discussion process: in response to one of my detailed
critiques of PEP238 promotion, Guido admitted that both sides had made
mistakes.  I decided to leave it at that.  The more important point
was get a commitment (now given) to the extended transition that many
people feel they need (even though an immediate change would be better
for me).

Terry J. Reedy