Large pages using Zope

Achim Domma achim.domma at syynx.de
Wed Aug 1 02:05:57 EDT 2001

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3B674802.C730D678 at engcorp.com...

> Are you sure you want to use Zope?  What tasks are you trying
> to accomplish for which you believe Zope is the best solution,
> and why?  (It sounds like you don't actually know anything
> about Zope, except that it is written in Python, but please
> correct me if I'm wrong.)

I thinks so. We develop some kind of specialiced search engine
which will be accessed through the web. Our core engine uses
C++/Corba and will run on multiple plattforms, so we need a
plattform independent solution to build applications. Most of this
applications will look very similar to each other, only design will
change and different modules will be enabled/disabled. The
template mechanism of dtml looks very good to me to accomplish
this problems.

> Zope has a fairly steep learning curve, and it may or may
> not be the best solution for you.  There _are_ simpler ways
> to go, but then again there are also advantages to using Zope.
> It all depends on what you really need.

I tried the tutorial and I had no problems with it. I think Zope
is a nice framework for letting our core developers producing
scripts for complicated workflows. And it should easy for
application developers to integrate this tools in webpages via
Zope. Of course it would be possible to do this with every
other scripting technology but seems that Zope would fitt our
needs very well.

> There are many, including a dozen listed on the page at
> http://www.zope.org/Resources/CaseStudies .  Have you
> visited zope.org yet?  That might be a good place to
> start if you "would like to use Zope"... :-)

Ok, that's what I'm looking for. I hadn't found this page when
I looked for it. But the customer list on www.zope.com is even
better.

thanks for your help
Achim