Win95: "Corrupt intallation detected." - cause known, solution needed

Bengt Richter bokr at accessone.com
Sun Aug 26 06:23:15 EDT 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:40:00 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote:

>[Bengt Richter]
>> But an md5 check settles it even more definitely ;-).
>
>The fellow was on Windows 95 and couldn't install Python, and didn't sound
>like the type who might be running Cygwin too.  Therefore he probably has no
>straightforward way to compute an md5 checksum.  If he comes back and says
>the size-check matched, we can deal with that then.  But *most* times this
>comes up the size-check fails, and then he's on the right path after a few
>seconds.

I grant you that most download problems are going to cause size changes,
but I still get a warm feeling seeing an md5 match, for security's sake.

It wouldn't be that hard to gin up a little stand-alone .exe to do
what md5sum.py does. (I have one that I made from Peter Deutch's
implementation of md5. I hacked his md5 into a C++ class that I used for
the utility). But for python, I guess it would make sense to use the
md5c.c version. Of course, someone has probably done it already.