constant in python?

Paul Rubin phr-n2001 at nightsong.com
Sun Aug 19 15:21:07 EDT 2001

"Brian Quinlan" <brian at sweetapp.com> writes:
> > The trouble is, the very existence of a workaround is sometimes itself
> > a limitation, e.g. in implementing an applet sandbox.
>
> I'm sure that your particular application is close to your heart but
> it's fortunately not a problem most of us have to deal with.

The implementers of Grail, a web browser written in Python that runs
Python applets, had to deal with it.  Similarly the developers of
RExec/Bastion thought it was an important enough problem to develop a
special module for it.  Perl has something similar.

> > I'll check into those.  However, a true general purpose language
> > should be useable in all environments.
>
> Name one language that is useable in ALL environments.

Smalltalk and Lisp are Python-like languages that have been used as
the basis for complete computing environments (PARC Smalltalk system
and MIT Lisp Machine).  I don't see why Python shouldn't be useable
on a similar scale.