[ANN] SkunkWeb 3.0 Released!

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sun Aug 26 16:31:38 EDT 2001

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001 at nightsong.com> wrote:
>>  * Caching.  Mason caches component output to DBM whereby SkunkWeb
>>    caches to disk files.  SkunkWeb's cache can be shared between
>>    machines as well as managed with filesystem tools.  SkunkWeb's
>>    caching interface is also a lot easier to use.

> OK, but if you need a lot of caching, is that not a sign that the
> template engine is too slow?  I'm even more scared of Zope.  I notice
> that www.zope.com says it's served by three separate machines
> connected by a load balancer. I don't know how many visitors they get
> but it can't be nearly enough to need that much hardware under any
> reasonable page generating system.

In part that's of course for reliability, not speed, and for publicly
testing their ZEO on a site. Note also that they do give a *lot* of
abilities to their members (Zope management screen access), so much they've
been getting trouble with warez kiddies setting up accounts, etc. If
you're talking about www.zope.org, that is (.com is rather new and
really doesn't need all that stuff). I've run Zope sites and generally they
don't buckle under load that easily, though it can get tricky, depending
on the application.

Anyway, caching is always useful, apart from the speed of the templating
engine; your underlying application may be relatively slow, for instance,
and if you cache you can simply serve more pages, whatever your speed.

Regards,

Martijn