S/MIME keys (was: What Are Some Good Projects For Novices?)

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 09:33:10 EDT 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:01:45 +0200, Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> wrote:
>phil hunt wrote:
>> I haven't looked into S/MIME. Is there a web page with a good summary of
>> it?
>
>http://www.rsasecurity.com/standards/smime/
>http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/index.html

>From reading links from this stuff, I get the impression that to get
an S/MIME public/private keypair, you have to buy one from a
Certification Authority (who also certify your identity, presumably).
Is this correct? Or can I just create my own keys like I can with GnuPG
or PGP?

--
*** Philip Hunt *** philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk ***
"Welcome to 21st Century America, where the profits of the major