Upgrading Python Breaks Extensions; Fix proposal

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Aug 30 20:13:13 EDT 2001

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> I might be reading this wrong, and I'm definitely taking you out of context,
> but the whole idea of .so files is that their text sections *are* shared
> among processes.  Their data sections will be process-private.

I think the difference lies in whether the parts of the
code that need to be changed to fix external references
are per-process or shared. On Unix they're per-process,
so each instance of the shared library can have its
own set of references back to the program which is
using it. On Windows they're apparently shared.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg