Getting User Name With Apache Basic Authentication

Kurt Jansen KurtJansen at
Fri Aug 24 01:52:43 CEST 2001

I would like to set up password protected directories for my Web site (Apache) using the htpasswd/.htaccess.  This means that whenever a user requests a page in the protected directory, they get prompted for a userid/password.  I would like to capture the userid that the user enters from within my Python CGI script.  This seems like it would be a common thing to do, but I can't find anything in the Python library or this newsgroup that addresses it.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Kurt Jansen