newbie-ness upgrade woes

Stephen R. Figgins fig at localhost.localdomain
Thu Aug 9 13:58:40 EDT 2001

You might want to be careful about replacing Python 1.5.2.  I believe
RedHat includes this because it has some other tools built on the
older Python.  The trick is to pass some options to configure telling
it to install python as "python2" instead.  Then you can choose
whether you want to run 1.52 or 2.1.

However, you might just consider using Sean Reifschneider's RPM, which
are already configured to install this way and not to interfere with
the 1.5.2 Python used by RedHat.

  http://www.python.org/2.1/rpms.html

On RedHat, I like to build and install from source RPMS whenever they
are available.

-Stephen