Python 2.1.1 and 2.2a1 SRPMs

Sean Reifschneider jafo-pythonlist at tummy.com
Wed Aug 1 02:20:05 EDT 2001

Since python.org is deeply unhappy, I'll announce the SRPMs on the
tummy.com site so that folks who want it now can get access to it, until
python.org can get a new hard drive.  Once that happens, these should move
over there.

The SRPMs are available at under ftp.tummy.com:/pub/tummy/RPMS/SRPMS with
the following file-names:

   python2-2.1.1-1.src.rpm
   python2.2-2.2a1-1.src.rpm

Note that 2.2 is the package "python2.2", which will install along-side
Python 2.1 and 1.5 RPMs.  I plan that once Python 2.2 becomes stable, this
will be changed so that Python 2.2 replaces 2.1 as "python2".  If you have
any comments about this, please let me know.

You can build binary RPMs from the above SRPMs using the command
"rpm --rebuild <srpm file name>".  Towards the end of the build it will say
"Wrote: [...]" and tell you where it's writing the binary RPMs.

Also, if you run into the 'libcrypt.so' and 'libssl.so' dependencies as has
been discussed here before, make sure you have both the "openssl095" and
"openssl" packages installed -- this seems to be an isue with RedHat
bumping the major library revision with openssl-0.9.6 to "1" from "0" that
0.9.5 and earlier had...

Enjoy,
Sean
--
 The Law of Software Development and Envelopment at MIT: Every program
 in development at MIT expands until it can read mail.