How to define a callback from Python to a C program ...

Alex Martelli aleaxit at
Wed Aug 15 19:26:37 CEST 2001

"Marten Feldtmann" <marten at> wrote in message
news:3B7AB97F.E2103C67 at
> I want to extend my application (not written in C) with Python and
> I want to call from Python to my program and give my program some
> information (say a string) ... it's something like a callback.
> Can this be done ???

It depends.  On Windows, it's easy, if the non-C language you
used to develop your application has decent COM support
(Visual Basic, Delphi, etc, are all fine).  On other platforms
there's no really standardized way to accomplish the same
tasks, although you could have a try with Corba.