Plea for help with Large File Support

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Fri Aug 3 12:08:16 EDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:44:12PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The system I'm working on is Debian 2.2 (potato) with a ReiserFS 3.5 partition
> on it. I'm assured that on this setup, I should be able to have files of up to
> 4GB in size, currently I get barfage at exactly 2GB :-(1
>
> What do I need to do to get Python 1.5.2 and Python 2.1 compiled in such a way
> that I read and write to files bigger than 2GB?

I doubt that Python 1.5.2 will be able to do it. Python 2.1 *might* but I am
not sure. What kind of "barfage" do you get. Can you post a small Python code
smaple to show how you are reading and writing to the file? As well, if you
could provide a C code snippet demonstrating that _C_ code can actually do
it, that would be very helpful. I.e. under the hood what C types should
Python be using to hold the offset into the 4GB file. I suspect that ReiserFS
squeezes out the extra bit from using an unsigned long instead of just a long
(is that what size_t is typedef'd to on Debian potato's glibc?).

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com