portability

Chris chrisb at lineo.com
Thu Aug 23 05:50:18 EDT 2001

LeoDeBeo wrote:

> i'd like to distribute a python application with a Qt-interface (using
> PyQt-bindings) (developed on a linux machine)
> can this application used as is on both windows and linux??
>
> tx

Yes,
As long as the windows machine has the same (or a compatible) version
of PyQt and Python installed, most scripts are completely platform
independent.  I wrote a rather large PyQt application using linux and
PyQt 2.4, then downloaded python and PyQt (2.5) to W2K and it worked
perfectly.  The only modifications I made were switching forward slashes
to back slashes in path names, but when I changed to os.path.join
calls, the script was 100% platform independent.  PyQt for windows
now exists in binary form for download at Thekompany.com and is free
of any legal issues so you should be able to distribute for both
windows and linux.

-- Chris