popen3 and ssh

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Sun Aug 12 19:59:19 CEST 2001

Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> schrub:

> ssh opens the controlling terminal (/dev/tty) directly to read the
> password. I think there is no way to tell ssh to read the password
> from stdin. If you want to use ssh locally, you need to create a
> pseudo-terminal. Depending on your operating system, this may be an
> arbitrarily complex procedure, or not possible at all. With some luck
> (e.g. on Linux), you may have the functions posix.openpty and
> posix.forkpty to do that.

May be you can also find a way to use the authentication agents for
your purpose.

But: The real ssh'ish way would be to use Key-Based authentication,
then no password is needed at all.

1) Customers cause problems.
2) Marketing is trying to create more customers.
3) Marketing is evil.  (Grand Edwards in comp.lang.python)