help me

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Aug 31 06:04:51 EDT 2001

"Du Wellsun" <ws at dohao.org> wrote in message
news:a74b343d.0108302126.6259bd24 at posting.google.com...
> hi,
>   I'm a big new fan of python. I want to be a master in python. I've
> read two books,such as Learning Python and Python Developer's
> Handbook. Could anybody tell me where I can find example source code
> on large project ?

O'Reilly's "Programming Python" 2nd edition, by Lutz, is in good
part dedicated to just that.  There's a lot of largish projects
on the "Vauts of Parnassus", http://www.vex.net/parnassus/.

For even larger projects, I guess the Zope sources are a good bet.

> and UML Tools to do with python.

Sorry, I'll pass on this one.

> or better example
> code tips . Thanks a lot. I like python.

Lots of examples/tips (besides Parnassus) at:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/index.phtml/fid/199/
http://home.jam.rr.com/mspiggie/
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_python/t1.html
and no doubts lots of other places.

>   I hava a dream ,I want to make python's interactive modle replace my
> operating system. Every task finished by python. Can it come true ?

Unlikely -- device drivers, etc, etc, it would be a *VERY* long
and hard work to recode them all in Python!  It's far easier to
have Python replace the *interactive text shell* of your operating
system, e.g. have a look at Maurer's PDOS for a start to that
on Dos-like or Windows-like operating systems (it WOULD be a
fun project to evolve that into a full-fledged shell for Unix-
like operating systems, Cygwin on Windows, etc:-).

>   I also want to make friends with everybody here.

You got a good start:-).

>   I don't like Java , Perl , Php and VB, they make me tired much more,
> though advantages.

Yep -- they do have some advantages in many deployment scenarios
(Java for applets that need to run on old cranky JVM's and so can't
use Jython, Perl for CPAN, PHP when you need HTML-embedded code to
run on the webserver of some idiot ISP who won't install a Python
solution for you, VB when you need to write macros for MS Word and
ship them off to customers who lack Python -- main examples), but
they're definitely tiresome to work with when the Python enthusiasm
starts to fire up:-).  And you haven't even mentioned Javascript
(when your code behind dynamic HTML needs to run on any old
browser), which I personally find "tiresomest":-).

Alex