Running Python on a MOSIX cluster

Mikko Huhtala mikko.huhtala at abo.fi
Sat Aug 25 15:04:03 EDT 2001

I am trying to run Python programs on a MOSIX cluster (Linux kernel
2.4.8 + MOSIX 1.2.2). A single Python process runs nicely and finishes
cleanly but if there are more than one Python process launched from
the same shell or from a Python program, all but the one (not
necessarily the one that started first) terminate with a segfault and
core dump. The output from the segfaulted processes is not complete.

I tried RPM packaged Pythons 1.5.2 and 2.1.1 as well as 2.1.1 compiled
from source on the MOSIX cluster. The result was the same with all of
them.

I am not very familiar with the inner workings of either Python or
MOSIX. Does the Python interpreter make a full copy of itself for each
Python process? For some reason concurrent Python processes do not
like each other on a MOSIX kernel.

Mikko Huhtala