A survey of Python IDEs

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 27 17:29:03 EDT 2001

Justin Doak <jdoak at lanl.gov> wrote:
> I am not interested in a full-blown IDE, but rather in a GUI builder
> for Python. (Of course, if I get a good GUI builder with an IDE, then
> I'd consider using an IDE.) Specifically, the GUI builder should be
> cross-platform (i.e., the code it generates should work on Windows and
> Linux at least) and an open source tool is preferable to a commercial
> one for cost reasons. Using Tkinter seems to be the default way of
> getting cross-platform GUIs with Python, but this involves writing
> relatively low-level GUI code that I'd prefer to avoid. If anyone has
> any thoughts on this matter, I'd love to hear them.

> JD

> p.s. I sort of use an IDE right now with python-mode in xemacs.

Qt Designer is GPL - the xml files it generates can be compiled to Python
code that executes both on Windows (using PyQt and the non-commercial
version of Qt) and on Linux (using GPL Qt and PyQt), so that should fit
the requirement of open-source. There will be a similarly non-commercial
version of Qt for OS X - and then your Python program will run on a Mac,
too.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org