PyInline Released: Put C source code directly "inline" with your Python!

Steve Holden sholden at
Wed Aug 29 00:49:13 CEST 2001

"Ken Simpson" <ksimpson at> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.33.0108281253320.28808-100000 at
> > This is very cool.  Can it (internally, at least) just be called
"inline" or
> > "Inline" though?  There's no particular need to distinguish it from
> > Inline module within the scope of Python programs, is there?
> No, there really isn't any need to call the module PyInline. However, I
> didn't want to call the project Inline because that would conflict with
> Brian's work and to call the module something different than the project
> would perhaps be confusing.. Thoughts??
> > Were you able to leverage any of the techniqueus used in Brian
> > work?
> I looked at Brian's Inline to figure out PyInline's high level design and
> also to figure out how one builds arbitrary chunks of "anonymous" code
> (i.e., one idea is to build the code in a subdirectory which has in its
> name the MD5 checksum of the code).
> Brian's Inline also provides a few abstractions which I will be adding to
> PyInline in future. In particular, PyInline currently only supports C.
> In order to support the addition of more languages, I need to abstract out
> the concept of building an arbitrary chunk of code in some language and
> then "binding" to it.

When PyInline supports Perl, will Python users be able to inline Perl
modules that inline other languages? The mind boggles. PyInline is a nice
piece of work.