Module Name

Brad Bollenbach bbollenbach at home.com
Wed Aug 15 09:18:47 EDT 2001

The Python manual has an example snippet of how to "fake" your own
import.

import string

def my_import(name):
    mod = __import__(name)
    components = string.split(name, '.')
    for comp in components[1:]:
        mod = getattr(mod, comp)
    return mod

__import__ is a builtin function that Python's import statement calls.
The for loop ensures that if you're importing a module from a package
(ie. the "z" in x.y.z) that the "mod" variable will actually hold the
module, and not the package.

For more, see http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/built-in-funcs.html.