Timetable to a Python PAUSE?

Shakeeb Alireza sa at bayt.net
Wed Aug 29 09:26:28 EDT 2001

Dear Pythonistas,

I really wish the community would pay more attention to the critical
problem of not having a Pythonic equivalent of Perl's PAUSE/CPAN.

"PAUSE is the Perl Authors Upload SErver, a registry for Perl module,
script and documentation authors to upload their work to the
CPAN...After an author uploads their module to PAUSE, it will be
mirrored to CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) once an hour and
from there, to the rest of the mirrors around the world. Various
scripts run on CPAN daily to make sure that mirrors are up and running
and that the mirror to PAUSE is functional, etc. There are people who
advise authors on their choice of name and namespace for their modules
and a few others who answer questions and investigate issues sent to
cpan at perl.org." - from the respective FAQs

Enough criticism. The question I would pose to myself is: How do I
contribute?

Given my newbieness, I don't think I would be in a position to help
out on the coding side, but I would and could certainly help out in
other areas such as: graphic/site design, hosting fees, doc drafts,
etc..

Hence, I would like to offer my somewhat limited skills to whoever
leads this project forward to realization.

FYI the following PEPs concern are related to this issue:

PEP243:  Module Repository Upload Mechanism
         http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0243.html

PEP262:  A Database of Installed Python Packages
         http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0262.html

PEP250:  Using site-packages on Windows
         http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0250.html

PEP241:  Metadata for Python Software Packages
         http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0241.html

PEP206:  Batteries Included
         http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0206.html

Sincerely,