Adding print-style function calls, and preproc plugins

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Thu Aug 30 05:36:55 EDT 2001

Me parece que Gerson Kurz <gerson.kurz at t-online.de> dijo:
> 1) normally, you call functions in python like this:
>
> name '(' arg { ',' arg } ')'
>
> however, 'print' is a special function in that its arguments can be
> written without enclosing brackets. Wouldn't it be nice if you *could*
> call your "normal" functions in the same way? Would that require too
> much of a change to the python language?

It diverges too far from what I would like Python to be. (Are you
reading, Guido?)  I can take advantage of what you describe in Perl, but
Python's precision is part of the romance. <g>

> There might be a slight ambiguity when function names are used without
> arguments, because it then could be interpreted as either the function
> object or the function call; but then again, I see writing the
> function name as object without assigning it to some variable or some
> such as rather pointless.

There would be ambiguity, which would require a lot more work on the
compiler's part, and a lot more thought on the programmer's part to
remember all the rules.  I've wanted to write Python funcs that work
like statements (as you describe), but I soon saw that leads down the
slippery slope toward _other_ languages.  Adding parens is a small price
to pay, IMO.

> IIRC VB (yuk!) can do something similar. But then, VB is possibly the
> *worst* kind of advocacy possible.

Yes. VB functions (that return a value) _do_ require parens around the
arguments. VB subs (that *don't* return a value) do _not_ require parens.
OTOH, in this case, the parse just assumes everything from the sub name
to EOL are arguments. Very little ambiguity.

HTH

--
You're quite free to convert your strings to byte arrays and do the
entire pattern tree by hand in pure logic code if you'd like. By the