Experiences converting Python to C++

Henrik Ekelund henrik_ekelund at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 04:59:39 EDT 2001

Thanks everybody! Especially Alex Martelli, we will definitely use
your ideas.

For those curious about the question Why: Because the customer says
so. And the customer is always right. It all is a part of their
IT-strategy: only use established techniques, and make sure than the
programming language is in widespread use. They are worried that it
may be difficult to hire programmers that know Python. And I have
failed too convince them otherwise. It did not matter that I explained
to them that it takes about two days for a C++ or Java programmer to
learn Python, that I explained that Python is probably the most
growing language in the world, that I explained that the maintenance
of the system would be more expensive, or anything else. I made an
eight pages long document explaining to them that I really did not
think it was a good idea. Still the customer is always right ...