Python 2.1.1 install glitch (Windows binary)

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.org
Sat Aug 25 11:12:42 EDT 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:36:29 -0700, Kirby Urner
<urner at alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

:
:I've just reinstalled 2.1.1. final and find that the
:file association string I'd manually fixed awhile ago
:was reset back to:
:
:   D:\Program Files\Python21\python.exe "%1" %*
:
:This is under Folder Options, where you scroll down
:to the PY snake icon, click Advanced | Edit and see
:the boot string associated with PY files.
:
:What __should__ be the boot string is:
:
:   "D:\Program Files\Python21\python.exe" %1 %1
:
:This problem may be confined to those setups wherein
:Python is installed in a path which includes spaces in the
:pathname (as in "Program Files").

This sounds right.  I remember a bit of a struggle to get this right
for Jython, which builds a "script" (shell or .bat, depending on what
you're running on when you launch the installer) which includes both
the path to the Jython files, and the path to the Java interpreter.
The joy with windows is that in some places paths with spaces need
quoting and in some they don't (don't ask me the rules!)

One answer: don't install in "Program Files".  Since I use the uwin
korn shell on windows anyway, the spaces were driving me batty.

Mats Wichmann