Suggestions for simple persistance in a web app?

Kevin Dahlhausen kdahlhaus at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 12:48:47 EDT 2001

.
>Please> explain what you mean.

There's a few reasons why I was hoping to avoid a database server. I'm
learning Webware and wanted to eliminate learing the database server
on top of that.  I don't believe the ISP I would like to deploy it to
provides access to a database, at least not without extra $$$, which
means more hassle for me as I'd have to get approval for the extra
money. It would have to come eventually, but for not I"d like to
procastinate a bit on the database side and design the app!

I mentioned 'loading into memory' as I because while gadfly seems like
a perfect solution, when I lasted looked at it it loaded the whole
database into memory.  Althought that might not be too bad  for
development, then switch to a full-fledged database later. (Just
checking with Chordate, Gadfly still loads the entire database, but it
shouldn't be a problem until you approach tens of thousands of rows).

Anway, it seems like the best bet is look into the Webware-friendly
ISPs.

Oh, and a Mr. Jung sent me this email containing another option:

"You should consider the standalone version of the ZODB.
It's perfect and simple for object persistence with Python.
Andreas"

Thanks everyone.