freeBSD 2.1.1 extension problem

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 06:44:20 EDT 2001

In article <WWVECJAoEii7Ewnx at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>, Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>
writes
>>I think the ISO standard for the C language mandates the
>>existence (includability, actually) of wchar.h, and Python
>>now requires a standard-compliant C compiler, so it doesn't
>>seem like a buglet to me that the installation isn't
>>checking for wchar.h's existence.  If your C compiler for
>>FreeBSD doesn't have a wchar.h in a standard include
>>directory, and you can upgrade to one that does, this
>>might indeed help.
>>

>>Alex
>
>So is gcc now defunct?
>
>I looked in vain for wchar on my colocated platform and don't find it.
>Python-2.1.1 manages to build fine and on that machine I don't get the
>problem building the extension.
>
>The comments in unicodeobject.h seem to imply a missing wchar.h might
>not be fatal.
>
>I'm guessing this might be some difference in the way the two
>pythons/distutils were configured.

Further research says that wchar.h was added to ISO C90 with amendment 1.

Also it seems that
http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2001/freebsd-i18n/20010520.freebsd-i18n.html
mentions wchar.h a lot beginning 2001/may so perhaps Python-2.1.1 package has the requirement
for wchar.h built in because freeBSD recently added wchar.h.

Looking in the two config.h fiels, I see one with #define HAVE_WCHAR_H 1 and one without.
--
Robin Becker