Typing system vs. Java

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Aug 1 02:20:19 EDT 2001

brueckd at tbye.com wrote:

> A few people have asserted that big Python programs would be unmanageable
> without this compile-time checking, but it seemed like they were speaking
> from other-language, and not Python, experience. Of the people who
> frequent the list and have participated in large Python projects, nobody
> has stepped forward and said, "we really had problems, and boy
> compile-time checking would have solved problems X, Y, and Z.".

I'll say it again: in over a year of Python development by a team now
numbering over ten, *none* of the problems that I can recall were in
any way caused by a lack of compile-time checking in Python.

Or, for that matter, any other limitation of Python...  Python has that
wonderful characteristic of all the best technologies: it's invisible. :)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com