Python 2.1.1-3 RPMs updated with LFS

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Aug 31 02:31:18 EDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 10:02:39AM +0400, Roman Suzi wrote:
>expat.src.rpm doesnt produce required expat-devel and thus I can't satisfy

You are using the expat RPM that is the second link on:

    http://www.python.org/2.1.1/rpms.html

If so, are you *SURE* it's not building the -devel package?  Did it build
and you just didn't install it, perhaps?

>that dependency. Also it would be nice if rpms were universal accross
>RedHat 5.x-7.x. I just do not know where to find right expat rpms.

The only way for RPMs to be universal across RedHat 5.x through 7.x would
be to continue to use all the libraries from 5.x and not upgrade them, or
to build everything staticly linked.  Most people would prefer to use the
newer libraries and kernels, however.

The SRPMs are about as universal as you can get, but in this case it means
that you need to upgrade your expat RPM.

>I know, lacking expat-devel is RedHat's fault.

RedHat's fault?  Why?  It was me that started using a -devel package, and
the expat folks are the ones how made the changes from version 1.1 to
1.95...  Time marches on -- things change...

>Do you have plans making at least RH 6.x compatible src RPMs?

As far as I know, these SRPMs work with RedHat 6.x -- as long as you have a
more recent expat.  I think that for 6.2 you'll need to remove the build
prereq line for db1-devel.

I'm not running a 6.2 box here though, so I must admit that it's not a high
priority...  If you can build them and provide me details on what was
required to build it under 6.2, I'll be happy to see about integrating them
into the main distribution.

I'll see if I can get a box to load 6.2 on and figure things out, but I
can't commit to a timeline for it.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Put out fires during the daytime.  Do your real work at night.
 Sleep is just an addiction.  -- Dieter Muller