assignment to __class__ (was Re: Copy constructors)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at
Tue Aug 14 16:20:15 CEST 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at> wrote in message
news:9lb0kg01hkt at
> "Guido van Rossum" <guido at> wrote in message
> news:cpk807e2pg.fsf at
> > Exactly.  What's going on here is that I'm trying to tease out how
> > I should go with the safety device without making the tool
> *unusable* is a *VERY* strong word.  Java is not "unusable".

I agree that 'unusable' is way too strong.  The bottom line is
preventing core dumps or otherwise trashing memory.  Given that
instances will no longer all have the same memory layout, some
restriction on class reassignment is necessary.  But I would stop with

Terry J. Reedy