REPOST: Re: references for shifting from Py1.5.2 to Py2.2?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Dec 26 19:48:03 EST 2001

"Joshua Muskovitz" <joshm at taconic.net> writes:

> One thing I *don't* need is a porting guide -- I'm not trying to move *code*
> from 1.5.2 to 2.2, just my own understanding of the language for my own
> future projects.

I recommend to read Andrew Kuchlings "What's new" summaries in
sequence (i.e. for 2.0, 2.1, 2.2); you'll find them on the release
pages for each release. Reading them should

a) not take more than an hour or so,
b) should give you a good overview of what's new, and
c) allow you to dig deeper into things that are interesting.

You'll find that there hasn't changed that much; for some problems,
there is now more than one way to do it. If it is the new libraries
you are after, you should find the "more important" ones listed in
Andrew's summaries as well - you can then go to the library
documentation.

If that is not detailed enough, search the library documentation for
"versionadded" markup. If that is still not detailed enough, read
Misc/NEWS.

If you merely want to have a book for reference on your desk, please
understand that books will be always behind. Finding a book today that
has all details on Python 2.2 will turn out impossible, unless you
print out the library documentation.

HTH,
Martin

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: