A new message board is up

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu Dec 27 17:43:03 EST 2001

Jeff Shannon wrote:

> Michael Ströder wrote:
>
> > I always wonder why people put "web forums" in place. I can't read
> > them while being off-line (e.g. on the train) and they are damn
> > slow. Newsgroups and mailing lists are the right medium for this
> > kind of communication.
>
> Eh, they have their purpose.  They're easier to set up than a
> newsgroup, and more widely accessible (decent browsers are more widely
> distributed than decent newsreaders).

I prefer mailing lists if a news group does not exist. And if the
participants are too stupid to use a decent MUA it's not the right
forum. I dislike having to load banners and I very much dislike
having to stay online to read postings. Period.

>  And once a certain volume is
> reached, they're easier to organize and maintain than a mailing list

Sorry, I can't see the advantage.

> It's also easier to
> include images and such in posts

Umh, yeah. The multi-media thingy... ;-)

BTW: Did you check the web message board's software how it prevents
cross-site scripting attacks, if the session ID leaks through
referer URLs and such...?

No, thanks. Web discussion boards simply suck.

Ciao, Michael.