WYSIWYG text Editor in python?

Enrique ecastro at cicei.ulpgc.es
Mon Dec 17 06:50:13 EST 2001

Hi,
   I am a biochemist using computer programming mainly for
data analysis, and a Python fan. Now I have faced a
different task, automating text reports. For this task I
need a MS-Word-like  text editor able to render on screen
text in bold, italics, underline, greek symbols and
super/subscripts. I work with MS-Windows.

I have a prototype of the application using
wxWindows/wxPython and wxHTMLWindow to render the text (text
input is done with explicit HTML markup tags, which is not
optimal for users). Hoewever I have found that  wxHTMLWindow
do not render <font face="symbol"> tags, neither sub and
superscripts. So I am looking for other solutions.

I have two options in mind:

a) Looking for an existing Python application/module for a
WYSIWYG text Editor or similar. I have searched the
Parnassus without success. Are any of you aware of such a
beast?

b) Using MS-Word as the editor. Currently I am using COM to
open MS-Word and automate some tasks on existing or
generated documents. However, for this particular task I
need to run Word in a MODAL way, (or OLE I don't know, this
is quite beyond my usual grounds), to block application flow
until the text is edited and getting the edited text back to
the main application. Any idea of how to do that?

I would appreciate any help or tip on any of the two
approaches.
Thanks
Enrique