Why is Complex number notation the way it is?

Tom Harris TomH at optiscan.com
Wed Dec 19 20:54:40 EST 2001

The story I heard was that one of the early electrical scientists, possibly
Volta, he of the Voltaic Piles (ouch!) used the term 'intensity' to describe
electrical current, to which he gave the symbol 'i'.

Tom Harris, Software Engineer
Optiscan Imaging, 15-17 Normanby Rd, Notting Hill, Melbourne, Vic 3168,
Australia
email tomh at optiscan.com     ph +61 3 9538 3333  fax +61 3 9562 7742

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately,and inform us of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of
Optiscan Pty Ltd.