Win32all documentation?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Dec 7 22:31:24 EST 2001

David Brady <daves_spam_dodging_account at yahoo.com> writes:

> Phew.  I know it's a long list, but I'm hoping that
> there's a bunch of documentation out there that I just
> don't know how to find.  All I really need is maybe
> some pointers to urls or MSDN locations... (...)

>                For the Windows-specific portions of my
> query, I have scoured MSDN as well.  Connecting to
> WSH, for example, is explained, but no documentation
> seems extant for *USING* it once you've connected.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Can there be anything but "Windows-specific" portions of this query
 given that we're talking about win32all? :-))

MSDN is really the right place.  The win32all modules are just thin
wrappers over the Win32 API functions, and while the documentation
included with the package covers some of the Python-specific quirks,
the actual API documentation would definitely be MSDN.

MSDN has the raw API documentation, but also provides an archive of
articles, guides and other usage documentation, often including
examples and what not.

You say you've "scoured" MSDN, but MSDN is *huge* - have you been
searching for stuff, perusing topics by following a hierarchy or what?
http://msdn.microsoft.com is the main entry point, but I expect that
much of the information you want is in the library under
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library.

I'm not a huge WSH user, but searching for "WSH" in the library brings
up pointers to several articles, including one on "basics" and the
general WSH section of the library (also available at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting).  It's hard to answer a "using
it" question with respect to WSH without knowing what you are trying
to use it for.  Windows Scripting is a general framework supporting
any number of scripting languages.  The Windows Scripting Host (WSH)
is a specific environment hosting a language (e.g., "wscript" or
"cscript" from the command line, or IIS for ASP pages).  Using it
means executing scripts within a hosting environment using a
particular back-end language engine, and can bring in other topics
(depending on what the script needs to do) such as COM and COM object
models provided by the scripting host.  But using it can also be as
simple as writing a script and executing it with "wscript".

Perhaps if you suggested some specific questions you may have in terms
of trying to interact with the API (or WSH, or whatever), we'd be able
to be more specific with pointers to information.

--
-- David