REPOST: PythonCard, ease of use, and the GUI problem/opportunity/niche

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 29 01:24:44 EST 2001

Bingo! Boy, oh, boy, do I agree with you on this. I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Building a gui now using Python, compared to using VB, really sucks. Yes, it's that bad.

Whichever reasonably easy to use language (right now I'm thinking either Python, Ruby, or a yet-to-be created
language) first gets an open source gui builder built on top of it that is as easy to learn and use as VB will
dominate the world.

It must, in my opinion, be as easy to use as VB for building simple input and output forms. That's the key. It
doesn't have to be any more powerful or anything else. Just easy. This is a crying out loud need that anyone
can see; someone will solve it, I am sure. It's too big an opportunityto be forever ignored. Unfortunately, I
am beginning to hae my doubts that it will be a Python-based solution. I sure hope I'm wrong.

The only hope that I know of right now is PythonCard, only a six month old project led by Kevin Altis. I
really admire Kevin and his team and I admire this project. I think they are ace coders (especially Kevin )
who are capable of doing what needs getting done. But I am afraid they will miss the mark, partly for the same
reason as Zope has its detractors, namely, lack of good, easy to use documentation for learning and using the
language.

Now, I know it's not fair to compare Pythoncard to Zope, as PythonCard is only six months old and pre-alpha,
for heavens sake ;-))) But when you love something, ..

I am really like a cranky old uncle that only dotes from afar on a precocious child. I have nothing to do with
PythonCard, have contributed nothing, etc. But I admire it from afar like a doting uncle.

But I haven't tried to use PythonCard in many weeks, a fact I hope to remedy this weekend. But I stopped
trying because, while I could see the brilliance of design and implementation, and potential for ease of use,
I couldn't get much farther due to lack of documentation.

What's a resource file anyway? What's an application framework? Yes I'm a clueless newbie, but that's what the
winner in this battle must do, create something as easy to learn and use as VB is for a clueless newbie. For
now, unfortunately, I find it easier to use Tkinter because I have tutorials, online documentation, and even
books. PythonCard actuall seems harder to me as it stands.

Maybe some of us could actually *help* create some documentation for PythonCard???? It's home page is at
SourceForge at http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

So go check it out. I really believe this is important. I'm going to try to use it this weekend. Lets discuss
it, then, OK?????

Ron Stephens
http://www.awaretek.com/plf.html

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: