Calling a generator multiple times

Oren Tirosh oren-py-l at hishome.net
Sat Dec 8 07:42:18 EST 2001

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:50:42PM +0100, Just van Rossum wrote:
> Oren Tirosh wrote:

> > > I understand how it works, intuitively. My objection is not that
> > > I don't understand it, but rather that a lone keyword appearing
> > > in the content of the method definition actually changes what is
> > > being defined. That's just plain wrong.
> >
> > I agree.  It should be immediately apparent that a generator function is
> > not a regular instance of the 'function' type.  [ ... ]
>
>   "That's just plain wrong"
>   "It should be immediately apparent that..."
>
> If it _was_ "plain wrong" it wouldn't be the way it is. I mentioned the
> archives of python-iterators list before, but I think the PEP is a better
> reference:
>        http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0255.html

Ok. it's not 'plain wrong'.  It's merely 'slightly confusing'.

I fully agree with this particular BDFL pronouncement. Based on the
alternatives presented in PEP 255 the best one has been chosen.

I think that  the alternative I have presented might have been preferred,
though, if it were included in the proposals at that time.

	Oren