REPOST: Re: Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

maxm maxm at mxm.dk
Fri Dec 28 11:47:11 EST 2001

news:cb4ba455.0112280631.731a5d72 at posting.google.com...
news:<3C2B9E04.9957801F at earthlink.net>...

> I truly do commend and appreciate DC's contribution's to Python, but I
> hope somebody can point to something (either examples or
> documentation) that gives me a reason to try again.

The funny thing is that it really isn't to complicated, but a few places it
stops short of supplying the tools that is needed to make it simple and
intuitive to learn.

The problem is that it does it tricks by mixin-classes, or multiple
inheritance if you will. And to get persistence you just mix in Persistance.
To get folder like behaviour you just mix in Objectmanager. To get
PropertyManager behaviour you mix in PropertyManager.

The most common mixin class though is SimpleItem, and it gives you a lot of
basic behaviour.

So a class using all of the above would be defined like:

class kicthenSink(ObjectManager, PropertyManager, SimpleItem):

    code ...

Each of the mix-in classes has a rather well defined/documented Api and the
source is available for browsing, so at some time when you get the "Zope
Zen" it all clicks into place and becomes rather simple.

The problem though is that it can be rather difficult until you got that
zen. And the only way to get there is to actually go ahead and try build
something in it.

As far as I am concerned it's all just a documentation problem.

regards Max M

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: