REPOST: Re: A new message board is up

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Dec 27 15:20:42 EST 2001

Michael Ströder wrote:

> Jeff Shannon wrote:
> > [..]
> > I won't be participating in this Python EZBoard.
>
> I always wonder why people put "web forums" in place. I can't read
> them while being off-line (e.g. on the train) and they are damn
> slow. Newsgroups and mailing lists are the right medium for this
> kind of communication.
>
> Ciao, Michael.

Eh, they have their purpose.  They're easier to set up than a
newsgroup, and more widely accessible (decent browsers are more widely
distributed than decent newsreaders).  And once a certain volume is
reached, they're easier to organize and maintain than a mailing list
(including automatic archiving, and purging of old archives, the
latter of which may or may not be desirable).  It's also easier to
include images and such in posts (which, again, may or may not be
desirable).  And the membership/registration requirements are
somewhere in between Usenet (none) and mailing lists (members only).

For an open, technical forum in which long-term archiving is
desirable, Usenet is definately a preferable medium.  For informal
social groups, web forums can make a nice alternative to mailing
lists.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International