A modest indentation proposal

Chris Barker chrishbarker at attbi.com
Tue Dec 4 12:49:51 EST 2001

Erann Gat wrote:
> Ah.  Right.  My bad, I apologize.

Apology excepted:

> Yes, learning about pyindent is one of the useful things that resulted
> from this discussion.  Apparently, tokenize might be another.  But the
> real missing piece for me is how to make emacs support this.  I have never
> hacked an emacs mode.

I'm no elisp hacker, but this doesn't sound too difficult. It looks like
it's time to take a look at some elisp, and start asking questions on
one of the emacs lists.

> Well, my confidence about my recollection of what I did and didn't say has
> been badly shaken :-) but I'm pretty sure all I ever asked for was
> feedback, and not for anyone to do any work.

I'm not going to go re-read all the posts, but I don't recall you're
directly asking anyone to do anything except support your proposal.
However, you did state that you didn't have the skills to do it
yourself, so that implies that you want someone else to do it.

If you really think this would make a difference to the folks you work
with, by all means implement something. My guess is that if they use
your hack, they will start to like Python, and soon enough they will
realize that the hack is unnecessary.

good luck...

-Chris

--