Using *just* the IDLE editor

Michael Williams michael.williams at st-annes.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 23:24:01 EST 2001

Hi,

I'd like to set up (or strip out components or rewrite, but hopefully
it won't be that complex) IDLE so that when I start it up with

    $ idle <filename>

I just get the IDLE editor and not the interactive shell. (I need to
avoid starting the shell for uninteresting reasons). The -e option
allows the opening of the editor window, but doesn't prevent opening
of the interactive shell. I'm afraid I don't have enough experience of
Python (esp Tk) to go through the code and work out what's being done
by idle.py so I would be very grateful if someone could point me in
the direction of a command line argument to prevent the shell
appearing or module I could strip out of the IDLE directory to allow
me to just use the editor.
--
Michael