Fate of win32all?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Dec 22 01:38:49 EST 2001

stalin wrote:

> I've used win32all occasionally--always in noncommercial settings--and
> have found it helpful.  I'd like to thank Mr. Hammond for developing
> the packages

My pleasure.

> and ActiveState for supporting their recent maintenance
> by employing Hammond.

Unfortunately, I am no longer employed by ActiveState :(

> Mr. Hammond had personally developed the win32 packages to
> considerable maturity before he became involved with ActiveState.  His
> employment by ActiveState appears to have come to an untimely end just
> recently ( http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-December/019038.html
> ).  I don't mean to be insensitive--I'm sure Hammond has a lot on his
> mind right now--but I wonder about the fate of win32all.  What role
> does ActiveState now play in licensing the package?  Has the original
> author lost a degree of his control over it to his former employer?

Nope.  The win32all license remains unchanged.  See the license.txt
files in the distribution.  Basically *anyone* is free to do whatever
they choose with the package, including building their own distribution.
  ActiveState have no special rights over this at all.

Specifically, I fully intend releasing new win32all packages.
ActiveState did have me working very hard on Komodo, but no longer ;)  I
am leaving for a Christmas break, but intend getting a win32all out by
the new year - if not, just a few days after.

Mark.