Help with TCL

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sat Dec 29 10:48:51 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "~Jason~" <freebird317 at hotmail.com>

> I am trying to learn programming.  I am running XP Pro. and when I
> try to run tcl I get the following error [File"<pyshell#0>",line 1,
> in ? tclsh80 nameerror: name tclsh80' is not defined]  why am I
> getting this error and how do I correct it.  I even changed it to
> tclsh83 which is what the folder says my version is.

You are making a very common mistake.  No matter how hard you try,
you just can't type the names of executable program files at the
Python >>> prompt and expect them to work.

Program files, i.e. *.exe under Windows, have to be run from the
Start, Run dialog, by double-clicking the program file, or from
the MS-DOS command prompt.

Not that it's impossible under Python, just silly:

    import os
    os.system("tclsh83")

Note that THIS won't work if the PATH environment variable does not
include the path to the tclsh83.exe program file.

Windows programmers MUST learn to use the MS-DOS prompt, even if you
rarely visit it.

Is this a FAQ?  (I haven't looked.)  If not it should be.