Compiling Python with Tkinter

Ben Ocean zope at thewebsons.com
Sun Dec 16 12:52:08 EST 2001

At 01:59 PM 12/16/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Ben Ocean <zope at thewebsons.com> writes:
>
> > Here's what I've done but it doesn't work:
>
>Can you elaborate how exactly it does not work? With the information
>you gave us, I'd say you have done everything correctly. That assumes,
>of course, that tcltk is really installed in /opt/tcltk, that the
>include files and libraries are present, that PIL is installed in
>../Extensions, that the Tcl version you have is 8.3, and so on and so
>forth.

After correcting a few mistakes to which you brought my attention, I now
get this output upon attempting make:

In file included from ./Modules/_tkinter.c:45:
/opt/tcltk/include/tk.h:83:29: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory

This file does *not* exist, anywhere:

#find / -name "Xlib.h"
#find / -name "X11*"
/usr/bin/X11
/usr/lib/X11
/usr/X11R6
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11
/var/cache/man/X11R6
/etc/X11
#ls /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
fs
#ls /usr/bin/X11/
fsinfo  fslsfonts  fstobdf  mkfontdir  xfs
#ls /etc/X11/
applnk  fs  prefdm

I never use XWindows, so I'm wondering if it's even installed properly, or
if I really need it for Tkinter. Your advice?
TIA,
BenO