It's hard to find documentation

Bruce Eckel Bruce at EckelObjects.com
Sat Dec 8 17:26:50 EST 2001

Sure, but why can't I use the search mechanism to do this? If it
won't discover a document when I give it the exact title, it seems
pretty difficult to find lesser things. For that matter, I can't
think of when the search mechanism on the site has given me what I
was looking for. It seems to vary between thousands of documents
and "nothing found"

On 12/8/01 at 10:38 PM Gerhard Häring wrote:

>Le 08/12/01 ? 13:28, Bruce Eckel écrivit:
>> Here's an example. In the Python FAQ, there's a reference (no
URL)
>> to a document:
>> 5.1. Can I create my own functions in C?
>> Yes, you can create built-in modules containing functions,
>> variables, exceptions and even new types in C. This is explained
in
>> the document "Extending and Embedding the Python Interpreter"
(the
>> LaTeX file Doc/ext.tex). Also read the chapter on dynamic
>>
>> So let's try to find "Extending and Embedding the Python
>> Interpreter". Using 'search,' using 'advanced search,' nothing
>> comes up with that title. Maybe it doesn't exist. Who knows. I
have
>> this struggle a lot when hunting for python information.
>
>The docs you're refering to are in the standard Python
documentation,
>for example here:
>
>http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/ext.html
>
>I agree that documentation can always be improved. Especially with
>respect to extension programming. On the other hand, especially
the docs
>on the C API have improved lately. But I still need to go hunting
for
>examples in existing C modules most of the time.
>
>Gerhard
>--
>mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user
#64239
>web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id
86AB43C0
>public key fingerprint: DEC1 1D02 5743 1159 CD20  A4B6 7B22 6575
86AB 43C0
>reduce(lambda x,y:x+y,map(lambda
>x:chr(ord(x)^42),tuple('zS^BED\nX_FOY\x0b')))
>
>--

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming at earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar