clearity of exposition

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Dec 11 09:13:44 EST 2001

"John Thingstad" <john.thingstad at chello.no> wrote in message
> In mathemathics we are awarded simplicity and cleary of exposition.
> I think the same should be true of programming.

It *IS* true -- no "should" about it.  Assuming that "awarded" can be
read as "rewarded for", and "cleary" as "clarity".  If you ever have
to maintain your code, you will be rewarded for clarity and simplicity
by having fewer lurking bugs, having an easier time finding and fixing
those which are there, AND being able to modify your code more easily,
smoothly and productively.

If somebody else has to maintain your code, rewards will come in terms
of that "somebody else" wishing good things about you in his or her
mind rather than sending you terrible curses (as he or she might, and
likely would, for "cleverness" and obscurity in your code).  One may
or may not believe that such curses and blessings have any practical,
actual effect, of course, but, just in case, wouldn't you rather be
blessed than cursed?-)

> So now I mostly program in python.
> My new logic lanuage is closing on completion. (formula.sourceforge.net)
> It was a pleasure to write to read and is a pleasure to read.

Sounds good!  I hope you soon release something so we kibitzers get
to share the pleasure:-).

Alex