A new forum is up! Q: what means nntp

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Dec 28 11:49:09 EST 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:
> "Aahz Maruch" <aahz at panix.com> wrote:
> > DeepBleu <DeepBleu at DeepBleu.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >NNTP is an internet protocol like SMTP, POP3 and HTTP for
> > >communication.  Also, it is the oldest one and it used to be the most
> > >instructive before AOL hit the scene along with the 'gold rush' :)
> >
> > Really?  NNTP is older than SMTP?  Mind telling me where you found that
> > little gem?
>
> SMTP must be older, by a few years (say '82 vs '86?).  FTP must be
> older still -- before SMTP, mail was distributed with an FTP tweak.
>
> Of course, netnews used other transport-level protocols (mostly
> based on UUCP, as I recall) well before the Internet was officially
> inaugurated (1983, wasn't it?).

I *thought* I remembered reading Usenet back around 1980 or 81
but that seems unlikely since Usenet first started in 79 but
was limited to only a few computers until probably well after 82.

I see that NNTP (RFC977) came around in 1986 while SMTP dates from
around 1981 (RFC788) although a previous MTP (RFC780) which is
presumably not quite as simple dates from 1980.  And I was
reminded again of the humorous coincidence that our network
mail standards were written by somebody named "Postel". :)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com