python cgi questions

DeepBlue DeepBlue at DeepBlue.org
Mon Dec 10 11:18:36 EST 2001

Kevin
I got it working with the following:
(or you can attach onClick to a button of type Button)
the function download_submit():
function download_submit () {
window.open('File_To_Download');
document.form1.submit();
}

This is downloading and submitting.  What you mention below was not doing
both things.  It was either or.  The window.open() solves the problem.
However, I still do not know how to run a script (by submitting a form) to
update the database without refreshing the current page.  I do not know if
this is even possible.
DeepBlue

"DeepBlue" <DeepBlue at DeepBlue.org> wrote in message
news:u19hnsnqo9tt9e at corp.supernews.com...

> "Kevin Cazabon" <kevin at cazabon.com> wrote in message
> news:5a4226f0.0112092040.5cf0cab1 at posting.google.com...
> > I'd suggest going at it the other way around:
> >
> > Use a normal submit button for the form, and include an onclick to
> > update the href location of the frame to the downloaded file.  Kind of
> > like:
> >
> > <form method=POST action="myform.cgi" name="form1">
> > <input type=hidden name=whatever value=crap>
> > <input type=submit name=submit value=submit
> > onclick="_self.location.href='/downloads/file.exe'">
> > </form>
> >
> I tried that and it would not work.  It just ran myform.cgi
> I changed the type from submit to button.  Then it would download the file
> but the form is not submitted.
> DeepBlue
>

> > I believe that will do what you want... try it out though first, of
> > course, it's written off the top of my head.
> >
> > No cgi is really needed here, except myform.cgi for taking the info
> > from the form and updating the database.  You could even use a
> > variable value in the onclick so that it downloaded a file specified
> > by some other item on the form.
> > (onclick="_self.location.href=self.form1.selectfieldname.value"
> >
> > Kevin Cazabon.
> >

> > "DeepBlue" <DeepBlue at DeepBlue.org> wrote in message
> news:<8SRQ7.22622$zp5.1091695 at typhoon.austin.rr.com>...
> > > I have the following cgi python question.
> > > I need to allow users to download  files through a series of HREF
links.
> > > But also I need to be able to update a database table when a user
clicks
> on
> > > the link.
> > > So, each file to be downloaded is in its separate Form.  And each link
> has
> > > an ONCLICK event that submits the form for the corresponding file.
When