pypasax (was Deprecate tabs for indenting)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 07:34:19 EST 2001

and in response, Alexandre Fayolle wrote:
> Well, as the author of pypasax, I can answer this one.
> He's not been using it to produce the sample.

...snip, snip...

> Now, I didn't code pypasax just for bragging around. The goal
> is to be able to easily generate an XML document from a set
> of python modules.

followed by a nice explanation of the things they're actually using it
for.

In fact, I think pypasax is terribly neat - lateral thinking applied to
SAX use, for a start (i.e., even if it *didn't* have a useful use, it
would still be A Wonderful Thing).

My personal interest is, of course, because I'm using the Python
"compiler" module (a standard tool in Python 2.2, yeh!) to produce DPS
trees [2]_, and these can be trivially [3]_ used to produce XML -
although, again, at a differing level of detail than in pypasax (and, in
particular, probably not directly reflecting the program structure). But
this means that when I came across pypasax I did consider whether I
should be using *it* instead of what I'm currently doing...

Convergence of ideas is a wonderful thing (even when they don't quite).

.. [1] Hmm. As to naming. "Tony J Ibbs" is what my
   birth certificate would have one believe (well,
   it expands the "J", of course), and "Tibs" is
   what I'm commonly called by friends and even
   sometimes family. I answer equally to either,
   sometimes without noticing which was used...

.. [2] A DPS tree is the internal datastructure used
   by the DPS/reST tools, which "as everyone knows"
   is the current Doc-SIG project - find out more at
   http://docstring.sourceforge.net/.

.. [3] For a decently simple value of trivial.

Marked up with reStructuredText: http://structuredtext.sf.net/ (well,
essentially - we haven't formally defined an email format yet...)