SnoPy 0.1 - SNOBOL pattern matching for Python

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk
Sun Dec 23 05:58:33 EST 2001

Don Rozenberg <rozen at mcn.org> wrote:

>This is the first release of SnoPy, a Python extension build on
>GNAT.SPITBOL.PATTERNS which provides many features of SNOBOL pattern matching
>to the Python developer.  It is released under the GPL.  The home site for
>SnoPy is http://snopy.sourceforge.net.  There is an extensive users guide
>including a SNOBOL pattern matching tutorial.
>
>SNOBOL was a text processing language without equal that was developed at
>Bell Labs in the 1960's.  It has nearly died out but I am offering this
>extension as an alternative to regular expressions.  In many respects, SNOBOL
>pattern matching is much more powerful yet easier to learn than regular
>expressions.
>
><P><A HREF="http://snopy.sourceforge.net">SnoPy 0.1</A> - SNOBOL pattern
>matching extension for Python. (22-Dec-01)

Wow! That's interesting. Snobol was one of the first languages I
learned and I loved it.

I still have some Snobol4 books by Griswold on my shelves here.

But having just checked the links, I see it's Linux only :-(.
--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems Ltd