REPOST: Re: Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Ulf Magnusson ulf.magnusson at ubm-computing.com
Sun Dec 30 03:21:29 EST 2001

"Ron Stephens" wrote
> You are probably aware of the Stackless Python project, I don't know off
hand
> where its web site is, and it's not a compiler I don't think, but a
different
> implementation of a Python interpreter that is a little faster in program
> execution (a lot faster ??).

I checked it out, they are located at
http://www.stackless.com/
but the project seems a little out of date, according to their
homepage the last update occured 2001-05-14
and the last supported version is Python 2.0
Regarding the speed, they clain on their homepage:
"8-10% faster executable on Win32"

>  I know it's not what you are after exactly, but I guess if you want speed
of
> execution, it could be of interest.

Thanks, all information is appreciated!
But I guess I am looking for a "real" compiler.

> I bet someday someone or some group creates an "optimized" compiler for
Python,
> but I hear it would be an enormously difficult and complex job. My guess
is
> that, if Python becomes popular *enough*, then someone will find the
difficulty
> worth tackling.

Yes, I certainly hope so.

> On another related tangent, I hope someday someone makes a .Net
implementation
> of Python. Mark Hammond, who was I think involved in ActiveState's
prototype
> effort to do just that, has stated how difficult a job it is. But again,
if
> Python becomes popular enough then someone may do it.
>
> One last aside, I keep seeing news about Mono, there was a nice
> interview/article in, I think Linux Journal recently by Miguel de Icaza
(sp?)
> and it sounds like they are making real progress. I wonder, would a
Python.Mono
> be just as difficult as a Python.net (I guess it would). Would a
Python.mono and
> a Python.net be do-able as a joint project?
>
> Wouldn't a Python.Mono be nice ;-))))

I guess you are referring to:
http://www.go-mono.com/rationale.html
otherwise, do educate me...

A .NET python will truly be an interesting product, apparently
you can download a Visual Python beta (I think) for the VS .NET BETA 2
environment
at ActiveState.

/U. Magnusson

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: