Using *just* the IDLE editor

Michael Williams michael.williams at st-annes.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 17:11:13 EST 2001

Joonas Paalasmaa wrote:
> > I'd like to set up (or strip out components or rewrite, but hopefully
> > it won't be that complex) IDLE so that when I start it up with
> >
> >     $ idle <filename>
> >
> > I just get the IDLE editor and not the interactive shell.
>
> Use idlefork.
>
> http://idlefork.sourceforge.net/

That does exactly what I'm after. Thanks.

Is there a short answer to the difference between the two versions of
IDLE as to how one launches the shell and one an editor? I managed to
get the vanilla idle launching an editor and not the shell by editing
idle.py (comment out the Shell calls and add in a EditorWindow() test)
but this gave some warnings (it did work though). For various
political reasons (I would have trouble convincing people to use stuff
which is a nominally more buggy fork) I wouldn't mind getting this
worked out in the normal IDLE - perhaps it should be done by a simple
command line argument?

Anyway, I've joined idle-dev and will take the discussion there as its
probably pushing the boundaries of on topic here.
--
Michael